Quantum is now offering an entry-level NAS storage solution targeting post houses and corporate video departments. Xcellis Foundation is a high-performance, entry-level workflow storage system specifically designed to address the technical and budgetary requirements of small- to medium-sized studios.
Based on Quantum’s StorNext shared file system and data management platform, this new product offers enterprise-class Xcellis storage, including high performance and scalability, in a NAS appliance for under $25,000.
The 3U Xcellis Foundation system includes Quantum’s QXS disk storage chassis and Workflow Director appliance, which provides NAS connectivity and support for billions of files across up to 64 virtual file systems. Xcellis Foundation comes standard with 48TB of raw capacity, and users can upgrade to 72TB or 96TB. When the user is ready to scale the system, adding performance and capacity can be done cost-effectively and non-disruptively by simply connecting more storage. Connectivity is via dual 10 GbE or optional 40 GbE, and NAS protocol support is included with no per-seat licensing.
Here are some additional details about the new system:
• works with higher video resolutions, including 1080p and 4K, without introducing complexity or unnecessary cost to the workflow
• cost-effective IP connectivity over standard NAS protocols
• advanced data management capabilities that optimize performance and maximize capacity across different storage tiers while assuring that content is always in the right place at the right time
• seamless integration into a multi-tier storage infrastructure that includes flash, disk, nearline object storage, public cloud and tape archive
• the ability to scale up and scale out through readily extended capacity, connectivity and redundancy
• simple installation and setup via a web-based GUI
Quantum will be showing Xcellis Foundation at the upcoming IBCShow in Amsterdam, and the new appliance will be available through Quantum and its reseller partners later this month.
Speaking of resellers, here is what one —Nick Smith, director of technology at JB&A Distribution — had to say about the new system: “Xcellis Foundation gives our reseller community exactly what it’s been wanting ― a Quantum StorNext-powered shared storage solution designed specifically for smaller video production environments. [It combines] easy NAS connectivity, 4K-ready performance and simplified setup and management, all at a cost-effective price point.”