FXhome has a new “Pay What You Want” good-will program inspired by the HitFilm Express community’s requests to be able to help pay for development of the historically free video editing and VFX software. Pay What You Want gives users the option to contribute financially, ensuring that those funds will be allocated for future development and improvements to HitFilm.
Additionally, FXhome will contribute a percentage of the proceeds of Pay What You Want to organizations dedicated to global causes important to the company and its community. At its launch, the FXhome Pay What You Want initiative will donate a portion of its proceeds to the WWF and the Australia Emergency Bushfire Fund. The larger the contribution from customers, the more FXhome will donate.
HitFilm Express remains a free download, however, first-time customers will now have the option to “Pay What You Want” on the software. They’ll also receive some exclusive discounts on HitFilm add-on packs and effects.
Coinciding with the release of Pay What You Want, FXhome is releasing HitFilm Express 14, the first version of HitFilm Express to be eligible for the Pay What You Want initiative. HitFilm Express 14 features a new and simplified export process, new text controls, a streamlined UI and a host of new features.
For new customers who would like to download HitFilm Express 14 and also contribute to the Pay What You Want program, there are three options available:
• Starter Pack Level: With a contribution as little as $9, new HitFilm Express 14 customers will also receive a free Starter Pack of software and effects that includes:
o Professional dark mode interface
o Edit tools including Text, Split Screen Masking, PiP, Vertical Video, Action Cam Crop
o Color tools including Exposure, Vibrance, Shadows and Highlights, Custom Gray, Color Phase, Channel Mixer and 16-bit color
o Additional VFX packs including Shatter, 3D Extrusion, Fire, Blood Spray and Animated Lasers
• Content Creator Level: With contributions of $19 or more, users will receive everything included in the Starter Pack, as well as:
o Edit: Repair Pack with Denoise, Grain Removal and Rolling Shutter
o Color: LUT Pack with LUTs and Grading Transfer
o Edit: Beautify Pack with Bilateral Blur and Pro Skin Retouch
• VFX Artist Level: Users who contribute from $39 to $99 get everything in the Starter Pack and Content Creator levels plus:
o Composite Toolkit Pack with Wire Removal, Projector, Clone and Channel Swapper
o Composite Pro-Keying Pack for Chroma Keying
o Motion Audio Visual Pack with Atomic Particles, Audio Spectrum and Audio Waveform
o VFX Neon Lights Pack with Lightsword Ultra (2-Point Auto), Lightsword Ultra (4-Point Manual), Lightsword Ultra (Glow Only) and Neon Path
o VFX Lighting Pack with Anamorphic Lens Flares, Gleam, Flicker and Auto Volumetrics
What’s new in HitFilm Express 14
HitFilm Express 14 adds a number of VFX workflow enhancements to enable even more sophisticated effects for content creators, including a simplified export workflow that allows users to export content directly from the timeline and comps, new text controls, a streamlined UI and a host of new features. Updates include:
• Video Textures for 3D Models: For creators who already have the 3D: Model Render Pack, they can now use a video layer as a texture on a 3D model to add animated bullet holes, cracked glass or changing textures.
• Improvements to the Export Process: In HitFilm Express 14, the Export Queue is now an Export Panel, and is now much easier to use. Exporting can also now be done from the timeline and from comps. These “in-context” exports will export the content between the In and Out points set or the entire timeline using the current default preset (which can be changed from the menu).
• Additional Text Controls: Customizing text in HitFilm Express 14 is now even simpler, with Text panel options for All Caps, Small Caps, Subscript and Superscript. Users can also change the character spacing, horizontal or vertical scale, as well as baseline shift (for that Stranger-Things-style titling).
• Usability and Workflow Enhancements: In addition to the new and improved export process, FXhome has also implemented new changes to the interface to further simplify the entire post production process, including a new “composite button” in the media panel, double-click and keyboard shortcuts. A new Masking feature adds new automation to the workflow; when users double-click the Rectangle or Ellipse tools, a centered mask is automatically placed to fill the center of the screen. Masks are also automatically assigned colors, which can be changed to more easily identify different masks.
• Effects: Users can now double-click the effects panel to apply to the selected layer and drop 2D effects directly onto layers in the viewer. Some effects — such as the Chroma Key and Light Flares — can be dropped on a specific point, or users can select a specific color to key by. Users can also now favorite “effects” for quick and easy access to their five most recently used effects from the ‘Effects’ menu in the toolbar.
• Additional Improvements: Users can now use Behavior effects from the editor timeline, click-drag across multiple layers to toggle “solo,” “locked” or “visibility” settings in one action, and access templates directly from the media panel with the new Templates button. Menus have also been added to the tab of each panel to make customization of the interface easier.
• Open Imerge Pro files in HitFilm: Imerge Pro files can now be opened directly from HitFilm as image assets. Any changes made in the Imerge Pro project will be automatically updated with any save, making it easier to change image assets in real time.
• Introducing Light Mode: The HitFilm Express interface is now available in Light Mode and will open in Light Mode the first time you open the software. Users with a pre-existing HitFilm Express license can easily change back to the dark theme if desired.
HitFilm Express 14 is available immediately and is a free download. Customers downloading HitFilm Express 14 for the first time are eligible to participate in the new Pay What You Want initiative. Free effects and software packs offered in conjunction with Pay What You Want are only available at initial download of HitFilm Express 14.