At IBC 2018, AJA debuted Kona 5, a new eight-lane PCIe 3.0 video and audio I/O card supporting 12G-SDI I/O and HDMI 2.0 monitoring/output for workstations or Thunderbolt 3-connected chassis. Kona 5 supports 4K/UltraHD and HD high frame rate, deep color and HDR workflows over one cable. For developers, AJA’s SDK offers support for Kona 5 multi-channel 12G-SDI I/O, enabling multiple 4K streams of input or output.
The Kona 5 capture and output card is interoperable with standard tools such as Adobe Premiere Pro, Apple Final Cut Pro X and Avid Media Composer, using AJA’s Mac OS and Windows drivers and application plug-ins. The card supports simultaneous capture with pass-through monitoring when using 12G-SDI and offers HDMI 2.0 output for connecting to the latest displays.
“With today’s audiences expecting the highest quality content, high resolution, high frame rate and deep color are quickly becoming the norm across broadcast and post workflows, prompting the need for faster, more efficient approaches,” says AJA president Nick Rashby. “Kona 5 combines the flexibility of AJA’s Io 4K Plus into a desktop I/O solution with a more powerful feature set.”
Kona 5 feature highlights include:
• 12G-SDI I/O and HDMI 2.0 monitoring/output for 4K, UltraHD, 2K, HD and SD with HFR support up to 4K 60p at YUV 10-bit 4:2:2 and support for RGB 12-bit 4:4:4 up to 4K 30p
• 4x bi-directional 12G-SDI ports and 1x reference in, on robust HD-BNC connectors, with HD-BNC to full-sized BNC cables included
• 16-channel embedded audio on SDI, 8-channel embedded audio on HDMI
• 8-channel AES audio I/O, LTC I/O, and RS-422 serial control via supplied break-out cable
• 10-bit downstream keyer in hardware, supporting up to 4K resolution
• Compatibility with Adobe Premiere Pro, Apple Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer, Telestream Wirecast, AJA Control Room and others
• AJA SDK compatibility, offering advanced features including multi-channel 4K I/O
• Three-year international warranty