FREMONT, CA — Blackmagic Design has released Blackmagic Camera 1.5 software, which adds 12-bit Log CinemaDNG RAW recording to the Pocket Cinema Camera. The Blackmagic Camera 1.5 update is available now free of charge from the Blackmagic Design Website (www.blackmagicdesign.com).
The Blackmagic Camera 1.5 software update adds CinemaDNG RAW file recording so customers can now capture super wide dynamic range in a single file. Wide dynamic range RAW image recording allows users to capture the brigh highlights and the dark shadows simultaneously. CinemaDNG RAW files give users freedom to be able to adjust the exposure manually during color correction with DaVinci Resolve allowing more flexibility for incredible feature film look color grading.
The Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera uses the open standard lossless compressed version of CinemaDNG RAW. CinemaDNG RAW lossless compression works in a similar way as a ZIP file where the RAW files are compressed during recording without the loss of any part of the image, so all images retain the same quality when they are decompressed. That means, according to the company, that customers get back the mathematically perfect high-quality RAW file image that they recorded.
High-quality lossless CinemaDNG files are fully compatible with DaVinci Resolve 10 for seamless color grading and editing workflows. Lossless CinemaDNG RAW files are an open standard however not all video applications can open them, although those that can are increasing all the time. Customers can download the free DaVinci Resolve Lite and transcode to popular editing formats like ProRes andDNxHD for compatibility and round tripping with editing software like Final Cut Pro 7, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premier Pro.
This new release gives customers the choice of recording CinemaDNG RAW or high quality ProRes 422 (HQ) in video or film mode. Cinematographers can remove the SD card from the camera, insert it into a laptop or computer, open the file and immediately start editing or color correcting media in any location. Working directly from the SD card eliminates the time wasted copying files and speeds up post production workflows.
Featuring a high resolution 1080HD Super 16mm size sensor, wide 13 stops of dynamic range, MFT lens compatibility, LCD screen for camera menus, metadata entry and monitoring, standard connections and more in a compact size, the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera has everything users need to shoot high quality digital film images in even the most remote or difficult places.
Summary of Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera key features:
• High resolution 1080HD Super 16mm sized sensor with superior handling of image detail.
• Super wide 13 stops of dynamic range allows capture of increased details for feature film look.
• Compatible with extremely high quality Micro Four Thirds lenses. Compatible with other mounts via common third-party adapters such as PL mount and Super 16 cine lenses.
• Built-in SD card allows long duration recording with easy to use media.
• Open file formats compatible with popular NLE software such as ProRes 422 (HQ) and lossless compressed CinemaDNG 12 bit RAW. No custom file formats.
• Standard connections including mini jack mic/line audio in, micro HDMI output for monitoring with camera status graphic overlay, headphone mini jack, LANC remote control and standard DC 12 power connection.
• Built in LCD for camera settings via easy to use menus.
• Supports 1080HD resolution capture in 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97 and 30 fps.
• Compatible with DaVinci Resolve Lite color grading software.
Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera is available now for US $995 from Blackmagic Design resellers.