Quantum has been an early adopter when it comes to creating cloud-based storage. Recently they took that to a new level, offering three new product solutions that integrate the cloud into multi-tier, hybrid storage architectures for data workloads.
The Quantum Q-Cloud solutions allow users to leverage Quantum’s intelligent data management software to store data in the cloud when it makes the most sense for a given workflow or application – essentially customizing a user’s needs.
The new Q-Cloud Archive and Q-Cloud Vault incorporate the power of the public cloud as an off-site tier within a Quantum StorNext 5 workflow environment, while Q-Cloud Protect for AWS enables customers using Quantum’s DXi deduplication appliances to replicate data to the Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud. With all three offerings, users can get the benefits of the cloud without making changes to existing applications or processes.
Taking into account both the benefits and challenges of the cloud, Quantum says their approach is to enable customers to combine public cloud storage with on-premises storage in a multi-tier, intelligently managed, application-centric architecture. So instead of treating the cloud as a passive repository, they integrate the cloud as an active tier in a hybrid storage infrastructure driven by application requirements.
Key features include:
• Full integration as a tier in StorNext 5-managed workflows, with automated, policy-based data movement
• No additional hardware, separate applications or programming needed
• Agility in addressing changing workload demands
• Reliability of global public cloud infrastructure
• Straightforward pricing and billing directly from Quantum
• Secure, encrypted data transmission and at rest
StorNext users can also employ Q-Cloud Archive and Q-Cloud Vault in conjunction with Quantum Lattus extended online storage, moving data from a Lattus object storage technology-based private cloud on their premises to Q-Cloud.
Offered as a subscription service through the Amazon Marketplace, Q-Cloud Protect for AWS enables users to replicate data from either a physical or virtual DXi appliance on premises to a virtual DXi instance in the AWS cloud.
Key features include:
• Easy access to the Amazon public cloud and its benefits, with no changes to applications or processes
• Cost savings enabled by the most efficient method of data deduplication
Q-Cloud Archive is available immediately in the Americas, EMEA and APAC, while Q-Cloud Vault will be available in the second half of this year. Q-Cloud Protect for AWS will be available next quarter. You can see an overview of the products here.