The nominees for the 32nd Annual ASC Awards for Outstanding Achievement were revealed in all categories at a special event staged at the ASC Clubhouse.
In an announcement that drew cheers, Mudbound cinematographer Rachel Morrison became the first woman to be nominated in the feature category. Joining her in the Theatrical Release category were Roger Deakins for Blade Runner 2049, Bruno Delbonnel for Darkest Hour, Hoyte Van Hoytema for Dunkirk and Dan Laustsen for The Shape of Water.
Laustsen was the other first-time nominee for his work on Guillermo del Toro’s magical The Shape of Water. Deakins, a previous winner of the ASC’s Lifetime Achievement Award, celebrated his 15th nomination in the category. Delbonnel scored his fourth nomination, while Van Hoytema’s work was recognized for the second time.
In the television categories, HBO’s Game of Thrones and Syfy’s 12 Monkeys both received two nominations.
Here’s the complete list of this year’s nominees:
- Roger Deakins, ASC, BSC for Blade Runner 2049
- Bruno Delbonnel, ASC, AFC for Darkest Hour
- Hoyte van Hoytema, ASC, FSF, NSC for Dunkirk
- Dan Laustsen, ASC, DFF for The Shape of Water
- Rachel Morrison, ASC for Mudbound
(Recognizing outstanding cinematography in feature-length projects that are screened at festivals, internationally or in limited theatrical release.)
- Máté Herbai, HSC for On Body and Soul
- Mikhail Krichman, RGC for Loveless
- Mart Taniel for November
Episode of a Series for Non-Commercial Television
- Gonzalo Amat for The Man in the High Castle (“Land O’ Smiles”) on Amazon
- Adriano Goldman, ASC, ABC for The Crown (“Smoke and Mirrors”) on Netflix
- Robert McLachlan, ASC, CSC for Game of Thrones (“The Spoils of War”) on HBO
- Gregory Middleton, ASC, CSC for Game of Thrones (“Dragonstone”) on HBO
- Alasdair Walker for Outlander (“The Battle Joined”) on Starz
Episode of a Series for Commercial Television
- Dana Gonzales, ASC for Legion (“Chapter 1”) on FX
- David Greene, ASC, CSC for 12 Monkeys (“Mother”) on Syfy
- Kurt Jones for The Originals (“Bag of Cobras”) on The CW
- Boris Mojsovski, CSC for 12 Monkeys (“Thief”) on Syfy
- Crescenzo Notarile, ASC for Gotham (“The Executioner”) on Fox
Motion Picture, Miniseries, or Pilot Made for Television
- Pepe Avila del Pino for The Deuce pilot on HBO
- Serge Desrosiers, CSC for Sometimes the Good Kill on Lifetime
- Mathias Herndl, AAC for Genius (“Chapter 1”) on National Geographic
- Shelly Johnson, ASC for the Training Day pilot (“Apocalypse Now”) on CBS
- Christopher Probst, ASC for the Mindhunter pilot on Netflix
The winners will be announced at a ceremony on February 17 in Hollywood, emceed this year by Ben Mankiewicz, a longtime host on Turner Classic Movies (TCM).
Main Photo: The Shape of Water