iZotope was at last week’s AES show in LA with Neutron, their newest plug-in, which is geared toward simplifying and enhancing the mixing process. Neutron’s Track Assistant saves you time by listening to your audio and recommending custom starting points for tracks. According to iZotope, analysis intelligence within Neutron allows Track Assistant to automatically detect instruments, recommend the placement of EQ nodes and set optimal settings for other modules. Users still maintain full control over all their mix decisions, but Track Assistant gives them more time to focus on their creative take on the mix.
Neutron’s Masking Meter allows you to visually identify and fix perceptual frequency collisions between instruments, which can result in guitars masking lead vocals, bass covering up drums and other issues that can cause a “muddy” or overly crowded mix. Easily tweak each track to carve away muddiness and reveal new sonic possibilities.
“[Neutron] has a deep understanding of the tracks and where they compete with one another, and it offers subtle enhancements to the sound based on that understanding,” explains iZotope CEO/co-founder Mark Ethier.
Neutron can be used on every track, offering zero-latency, CPU-efficient performance. It offers static /dynamic EQ, two multiband compressors, a multiband Transient Shaper, a multiband Exciter and a True Peak Limiter.
What the plug-in offers:
• The ability to automatically detect different instruments — such as vocals, dialogue, guitar, bass, and drums — and then apply the spectral shaping technology within Neutrino to provide subtle clarity and balance to each track.
• Recommendations for optimal starting points using Track Assistant, including EQ nodes, compressor thresholds, saturation types and multiband crossover points.
• It carves out sonic space using the Masking Meter to help each instrument sit better in the mix.
• The ability to create the a mix with five mixing processors integrated into one CPU-efficient channel strip, offering both clean digital and warm vintage-flavored processing.
• There is surround support [Advanced Only] for audio post pros that need to enhance the audio for picture experience.
• There are individual plug-ins [Advanced Only] for the Equalizer, Compressor, Transient Shaper and Exciter.
Neutron and Neutron Advanced is available now. Neutron Advanced will also be available as part of iZotope’s new Music Production Bundle 2. This combines iZotope’s latest products with its other tools, including Ozone 7 Advanced, Nectar 2 Production Suite, VocalSynth, Trash 2 Expanded, RX Plug-in Pack and Insight.
Once available, Neutron, Neutron Advanced, and the Music Production Bundle 2 will be discounted through October 31, 2016: Neutron will be available for $199 (reg.$249); Neutron Advanced will be available for $299 (reg. $349); and the Music Production Bundle 2 will be available for $499 (reg. $699).