Red Giant is now offering Universe 2.2, which features 11 new transition tools — 76 transitions and effects in total — for editors and motion graphics artists. In addition to brand new transitions, Red Giant has made updates to two existing plugins and added support for Avid Media Composer. The Universe toolset, and more, can be seen in action in the brand new short film Hewlogram, written and directed by Red Giant’s Aharon Rabinowitz, and starring David Hewlett from the Stargate: Atlantis series.
The latest update to Red Giant’s collection of GPU-accelerated plugins, Universe 2.2’s transitions range from Retrograde, which creates an authentic film strip transition using real scans from 16mm and 8mm film to a Channel Surf transition that creates the effect of changing channels on an old CRT TV.
This release brings the complete set of Universe tools to Avid Media Composer, which means that all 76 Red Giant Universe effects and transitions now run in eight host applications, including: Adobe Premiere Pro CC, After Effects CC, Apple Final Cut Pro X, Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve and more.
Brand-new transition effects in Red Giant Universe 2.2 include:
• VHS Transition: A transition that mimics the effect that occurs when a VCR has been used to record over pre-existing footage.
• Retrograde Transition: A transition that that uses real scans of 16mm and 8mm film to create an authentic film strip transition.
• Carousel Transition: A transition that mimics advancing to the next slide in an old slide projector.
• Flicker Cut: A transition that rapidly cuts between two clips or a solid color, and which can invert the clips or add fades.
• Camera Shake Transition: A transition that mimics camera shake while it transitions between clips.
• Channel Surf: A transition that mimics the distortion you’d get by changing the channel on a cathode ray tube TV.
• Channel Blur: A transition that blurs each of the RGB channels separately for a unique chromatic effect.
• Linear Wipe: A classic linear wipe with the addition of wipe mirroring, as well as an inner/outer stroke with glow on the wipe border.
• Shape Wipe: A transition that uses an ellipse, rectangle or star shape to move between 2 pieces of footage. Includes control over points, size, stroke and fill.
• Color Mosaic: A Transition that overlays a variety of colors in a mosaic pattern as it transitions between 2 clips.
• Clock Wipe: A classic radial wipe transition with feathering and the option for a dual clock wipe.
Updates to existing effects in Universe 2.2 include:
• VHS: This update includes new VHS noise samples, VHS style text, timecode and function icons (like play, fast-forward, rewind), updated presets, and updated defaults for better results upon application.
• Retrograde: This update includes a small but valuable addition that allows Retrograde to use the original aspect ratio of your footage for the effect.
Existing Universe customers can download the new tools directly by launching Red Giant Link. Universe is available as an annual subscription ($99/year) or as a monthly subscription ($20/month). Red Giant Universe is available in Red Giant’s Volume Program, the flexible and affordable solution for customers who need five or more floating licenses.