The HPA (Hollywood Professional Association) has opened the call for entries in creative categories for the 13th annual HPA Awards. These awards recognize artistic excellence in color grading, editing, sound and visual effects in feature film, television and commercials.
The 13th annual awards presentation will be held at the Skirball Cultural Center in Los Angeles on November 15.
This year, two additional creative categories have been announced to reflect the evolution of the industry — Editing for Television and Visual Effects for Television. The category additions were based upon input on the changing nature of the industry from core creative constituents of the HPA Awards, as well as the editing and visual effects communities.
Entries are now being accepted in the following competitive categories:
• Outstanding Color Grading – Feature Film
• Outstanding Color Grading – Television
• Outstanding Color Grading – Commercial
• Outstanding Editing – Feature Film
• Outstanding Editing – Television (30 Minutes and Under)
• Outstanding Editing – Television (Over 30 Minutes)
• Outstanding Sound – Feature Film
• Outstanding Sound – Television
• Outstanding Sound – Commercial
• Outstanding Visual Effects – Feature Film
• Outstanding Visual Effects – Television (13 Episodes and Fewer)
• Outstanding Visual Effects – Television (Over 13 Episodes)
Changes to visual effects submissions teams were also announced. Complete rules, guidelines and entry information for the creative categories and all of the HPA Awards are available here.
Submissions for consideration in the Creative Categories will be accepted between May 16 and July 13. Early Bird Entries (at a reduced entry fee for the Creative Categories) will be accepted through June 11. To be considered eligible, work must have debuted domestically and/or internationally during the eligibility period — September 6, 2017 through September 4, 2018. Entrants do not need to be members of the Hollywood Professional Association or working in the US.
The call for entries for the HPA Engineering Excellence Award opened last month. Submissions for the Engineering Excellence Award will be accepted until May 25.